It wasn't actually fun.
I got up to the Doomstead at about 10, which is pretty good for a bloke
who's on holiday (especially as it's really 9), and tried to start the
tractor. Flat battery. Trying to jump start it off the ute just about
set my jumper leads on fire, but didn't actually help. I need new jumper
So, I made a quick trip to the local garage with the
battery to see if he could charge it. It was going to take most of the
day so, to avoid wasting the trip up (and all that fuel), I bought a new
one. He had a pallet of bargains for $120, which isn't too bad.
The tractor started, so I began playing agricultural equipment Tetris to
get to the slasher. When I tried to back up to drop the first bit of
stuff off to one side, I found one brake was jammed on, and I couldn't
reverse. (Other wheel spinning, which is alarming on a tractor.)
At first it looked like the footplate was pressing on the brake
mechanism, because most of its bolts had fallen out. (Yeah, yeah, I fail
at routine maintenance.) Once I had the plate off, and looked a bit
closer, it was still jammed. Now, I've never adjusted the brake, and it
worked fine last time I used it, but it was certainly adjusted too
tight. It was a bitch to adjust, because the adjusting and lock nuts had
been painted in place, but I got there in the end.
to slash the larger half of the paddock (yes, yes, I know), which is
probably all I would've done anyway, and now I'm home, clean and fucked.